Saturday, October 24, 2009

Much Ado About Doodles


"What are you doing in there?" My buddy Wendy queried through the door of the bathroom stall. I sat mesmerized by the fanciful doodling artfully created on the inside of the metal door.


“Fascinating,” I whispered to myself as I said to my friend, “I’ll only be a minute longer.

I heard her huff in exasperation. She had become accustomed to my enthrallment with bathroom doodles, and had little patience left with me.

What I saw in front of me was an enormous spider web drawn with a heavy-handed black marker pen, spreading across the door from top to bottom and extending past the door on both sides. A chubby whimsical spider stared back at me with sad dark eyes, her desperation evident. Facing the center of the web, from left to right, her destination was obvious.

What did this doodle say to the graphologist in me from the person who had created it so masterfully?

This person felt trapped- not in the bathroom stall, but in her life. Facing inward to the right and toward the center of the web, the doodler had little hope of escape in the near future. She was actually being drawn deeper, and deeper into the depths of the web. She felt that the trap was of her own making and yet, she did not have the power to exit if she wished. The spider- representing the doodler herself, expressed unhappiness, worry and despondency in her shadowy eyes.

The spread of the web from top to bottom and extending out past the door on both sides indicated the desire to reach out for help to anybody who would listen. This person showed an extreme need for acceptance and an unwillingness to let go of a relationship or situation that probably wasn’t working. The heavy-handedness of the drawing showed an aggressive determination to express her feelings.

A doodle can be read like a handwriting sample. The position on the page (or, as in this case- on the door), size, direction, pressure and symbolism are all important to the analysis. Of course, symbols may mean different things to different people, determined by past experiences, moods and situations. The true meaning of a doodle is relative to the situation and the person involved.

As I left the bathroom stall, I felt a sense of foreboding for this sad and desperate woman whom I had connected with for that short moment in time. Being a graphologist helped me to see inside her soul more clearly, but anybody would have felt the despondency and fear in this revealing doodle.

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed your entries on Toxic Words - such great thoughts and a wonderful reminder to watch the words I use - to be positive and kind and use words to build up rather than tear down. :)

    ReplyDelete